PDA

View Full Version : I want to do Birds Breeding Business

sonaray
12-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I want to adopt birds breeding as a business. I have following resources:
Investment upto 3 lac as initial investment (can go upto 10 lac or more if this is a good business)
Free Space
Free electricity
Two servents
Already have birds worth 1 lac and spot welding breeding cages.
I kept birds like love birds, cocatiels, grey parrot, cacatoo, finch, exhibition and finches as hobby ten years back, but being out of Pakistan I have no idea that is this a business or not. I have other business to earn and i want this hobby as a side business too as well as promote this home industry. Can someone guide me how to do. I heard name of Pakistan in other countries as a country having birds keeping as a home industry.
I want answers of some questions
Is this a business too or not?
Is breeding birds is worth investment?
How to sale the breed?
At what scope and investment i should do it?
I should do it as a business or not?

ka_khan
12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Much debated topic and discussed a lot in the past.You can go with it as a side business but not as a full time source of income.

Arshad Khan
12-19-2012, 08:56 AM
See the following links, where it is discussed in detail:

http://birdsplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?28997-I-want-to-start-a-avairy-business-in-karachi&highlight=business

http://birdsplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?29424-What-is-better-by-profit-point-of-view&highlight=business

Investment upto 3 lac as initial investment (can go upto 10 lac or more if this is a good business)
Free Space
Free electricity
Two servents
I kept birds like love birds, cocatiels, grey parrot, cacatoo, finch, exhibition and finches as hobby ten years back, but being out of Pakistan I have no idea that is this a business or not. I have other business to earn and i want this hobby as a side business too as well as promote this home industry. Can someone guide me how to do. I heard name of Pakistan in other countries as a country having birds keeping as a home industry.
How to sale the breed?

sonaray
12-19-2012, 10:35 PM
THANKS, but my questions are not answered in suggessted threads.

sufi
12-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Aisay threads to feika bhai ki specialty hain.. full market research se bhara hua reply kartay hain :)

feika
12-20-2012, 05:52 PM
My reply in BOLD

Free Space
Free electricity
Two servents

Yes this can be done as a business, provided you want to run it purely as a business venture, and not as a hobby from which you can earn money. This requires the knowledge of your product (birds, their needs, preventive measures, and cure), knowledge of the market in which you'd like to operate, likeness of the people, etc. In short you must do a SWOT analysis and since you are already running a business, you must be well versed with the prerequisites of a business plan.

Bird breeding requires lots of patience, hard work, and some basic knowledge. It is worth investing by all means, provided you've done your cost-benefit analysis accurately. Hardly any business can guarantee you positive ROI in a short term so you should be prepared to invest your money and time into it and reinvestment as well over a period of 3-5 years and you may be able to harvest the benefits of your venture.

How to sale the breed?

There are 2 methods to sell the offsprings. 1 is to take them to the bird shops and sell them to the shop keeper who gives you the highest price. 2. use your contacts and advertise on the internet to sell them to the end buyers who will give you a higher price than the shop keepers. There are a few things to consider here, the genuine buyers may not buy your complete lot which the shop keeper may, I mean if you are doing it as a business, you might get dozens of chicks to sell so in order to get a good price, you need to invite lots of strangers to your facility, which can be hazardous as well. Alternately you may consider forward integration and open a shop as well.

It's up to you, how much you want to spend. Had it been my decision, I would only spend that much amount that I would be able to write-off completely as losses (in the worst case scenario), since this is not my primary source of earning. However, if it were my bread and butter venture, than I would do some backward engineering and see at what amount I can live a life of my choice and invest accordingly.

By far, the MOST INTRIGUING QUESTION OF ALL. If you do your working properly, weigh your risks and benefits, and if you find it appealing, why not.

midnight_rambler
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM
feika, can't be better explained than this ... Nusrat bahi

regards,
Shah...

usaid ahmed
12-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Aisay threads to @feika (http://birdsplanet.com/forum/member.php?u=5931) bhai ki specialty hain.. full market research se bhara hua reply kartay hain :)

What do you expect from someone who specializes in marketing and selling as a profession;)

usaid ahmed
12-21-2012, 12:12 AM
My reply in BOLD

SWOT Analysis,Cost Benefit Analysis, ROI, Forward Integration, Writing off losses, Backward Engineering

Ap ki post parh k Business Management ki knowledge refresh hogai
Yar, ap mba ki evening classes shru kardain, lolz;)

junaid199
12-21-2012, 01:51 AM
feika well sir your reply shows your interest in STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT :)

haroonee
12-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Free Space
Free electricity
Two servents
How to sale the breed?

You can do good with fancy poultry... keeping a show quality stock of 2-3 breeds of your liking and establishing an incubation setup.

best77
12-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Nice Article, keep it up Sir G

Raja Qaiser
12-21-2012, 11:02 PM
feika, Nusrat bahi best answer. Thank U

Sherjil
12-22-2012, 03:51 AM
My reply in BOLD

Thanks a lot feika bhai for explaining the pros and cons of bird's business. I would like to know your's and other experts opinion about exports outside Pak . I have a few questions in mind which I have narrated below for your opinion :

Wht type of customers do one has to deal with while exporting birds ?
I have heard the word "broker" a few time on this forum, what is their role in birds export or imports ?
Which species are normally exported ?
To which countries normally birds are exported from Pak ?
What are the hurdles being faced locally for exporting birds ?
Is Pakistan known for exporting higher quality birds in some specific species or several species and which are those ?
Do the birds have to under go some medical checks or medical certification before being exported ? are there any standards which one has to follow ?
What are the tax regulations for birds exports ?
Which countries are the competitors and in which species ?
Is there any government department which can be contacted for getting info regarding exports of birds ?

Any other important facts which you would like to share , pls do so.

muhammadsaeed
12-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks a lot feika bhai for explaining the pros and cons of bird's business. I would like to know your's and other experts opinion about exports outside Pak . I have a few questions in mind which I have narrated below for your opinion :

I have heard the word "broker" a few time on this forum, what is their role in birds export or imports ?
Is Pakistan known for exporting higher quality birds in some specific species or several species and which are those ?
Do the birds have to under go some medical checks or medical certification before being exported ? are there any standards which one has to follow ?
Is there any government department which can be contacted for getting info regarding exports of birds ?

these queries are very Important to start the new Birds Business or existing, some threads in this connection are already exist but no body give us the proper reply up till now.

feika
12-22-2012, 12:08 PM
My reply under each question

You may either contact the dealer abroad yourself as hardly any end-buyer would deal with you directly as an authentic exporter especially when you are from Pakistan. Or you may find the local exporters or their brokers who will get the birds from you and export will be their headache.

Exporters usually don't go into the hassle to collect birds from different sources, they tell the requirement to the people who are working as a go-between or broker with the sellers. Broker deals with the breeders/sellers, collects the required species from here and there, make the payment to the seller, and give the birds to the exporter on profit or whatever their contract is.

I've seen lovebirds, cockatiels, budgies, finches, javas, etc. normally export from here.

Iran, Bangladesh, Russia, Eastern Europe.

There are few hurdles locallhy, as you may find people of compromising nature everwhere, some of these are that sometimes the airlines refuse to carry live animals, or you may come across an honest person who will abide by the law, but the real problems are abroad, e.g. the birds shouldn't come under CITES (The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) list, they should be properly ringed, proper documentation is accompanied etc..

I don't think so.

Theoretically speaking, yes, you need to have a certificate from the wild life department AFTER they check the birds, but practically they issue the certificate without checking the birds when you bribe them. Proper information can be had from the wild life department in this regard.

No idea.

Holland and Czech Republic for Canaries, EBs, South Africa for almost all kinds of birds like CAGs, Cockatoos, Amazons, IRNs, Rumps, Rosellas, etc etc. Taiwan fro Canaries. (mostly birds are illegaly exported from African and Eastern European countries.

I think the wild life department can be of help.

The above responses are not based on first hand dealings with exporters, these are just my understanding of the subject so please verify or cross check them before starting any plan based upon these.

Sherjil
12-22-2012, 05:21 PM
My reply under each question

Thanks Feika bhai for your valuable feedback , really appreciated.