Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to become a successful breeder

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

20 members found this post helpful.

How to become a successful breeder

These are my own breeding expereinces, every point is debatable and discussable. your comments and suggestions are always welcome. These are applicable if you are a parrot breeder, ground bird, fancy pigeons, flying pigeons, finches or doves.

for me the most important point in a breeder should be
    (1) PATIENCE. FOR ME THIS IS THE NO 1 QUALITY IN A GOOD BREEDER
    When i goes back 25 years ago, i did many mistakes, repeat them many time. then i realised that patinece is the key to every problem. First decide one breed, stick to it and try to get good results and then switch over to another breed. Be patinet in your selection, cage, breed, dont follow others, or what is hot to sell, see what you can keep and breed.
    (2) MANAGEMENT.
    For me this is 2nd very important, we spent one lac on bird but dont spend good money on cage, try to built cage then buy bird, we buy bird first and then try to purchase cage after wards.
    (3) DAILY VISIT
    Please read my words so many times and please visit your birds on daily basis, i repeat daily basis. when we are new in birdkeeping we are excited and pay daily visits, after some time when we lost interest or purchase some new mutations we neglect the first one and there start the disaster. I again repeat "never neglect any of your breeder pair and watch them by standing few minutes in front of their cage and see their activities. We had many disasters beacuse we start neglecting or breeding pairs.
    (4) KEEP FEW BIRDS
    THIS POINT I WISH TO WRITE IN CAP LETTER. MY OWN EXPEREINCE IS THAT I GOT BEST RESULTS FROM 10 PAIRS BUT COULD NOT GET THE SAME FROM 100 PAIRS. THE ANSWER IS IN THIS SENTENCE.
    (5) NEVER FOLLOW OTHERS
    I mean if you cannot afford to buy Macaw, dont follow others, not every breed suits to every breeder. Stick to few breeds and specalise in them.
    (6) TRY TO LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES
    This is also very important point in a good breeder, try to learn from your previous mistakes and dont repeat them.
    (7) TRY TO LEARN NEW THINGS
    Thanks to internet, when i goes back to 25 years ago, when i was new, their was no books avabialbe, no senior breeder give hints, no internet, no mobile, communciation was very slow , but the new breeds are lucky that they have every apportunity to get new ideas, cages, breeds and can learn from net and breeders. Try to interct with breeders, books are only source of information but visiting a breeder and see his breeding techniques you will learn a lot. again open your mind and do out of box.
    (8) LUCK
    Well this point is debatable but i give 50% point to luck, you try every thing, best cage, best bird, best feed but you may lost the male or female at the start of breeding season. I wish every reader do comment on this point.
    (9) EXPECTATIONS
    Dont expect with fellow breeders that i help so and so when he need me and when i need him he was not there. Be open to healthy critisim, be open to discussion, be open to help others but dont expect any favour from him. although many would not agree with me, but one day they will realize that i was right.

These above mentioned are few point which i learn from making so many mistakes, errors, lost so many birds, loosing many frineds, making many new, these all poinsts are debatable and need more to explore.
    Last edited by zaheer minhas; 07-30-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    Please help those bird breeders/keepers who seek your help. God will benefit you with sharing of knowledge.

My motto is
    "CONSERVE WILDLIFE THROUGH CAPTIVE BREEDING OF BIRDS"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to become a successful breeder

Very good advice. Zaheer Sahib

Regarding point (8), it is easy for everybody (including myself) to blame luck for our failures.
    When we say "meri to kismat he kharab hay" it means we have given up and we are no longer looking for the real reason behind our failure. If we stay focused and not give up success will come InshaAllah.

Verified Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

very helpful topic zaheer bhai

Premium Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just I can say "cozay mey derya". Thanks for very realistic guidlines.
    Arshad Khan

Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Mashallah Zaheer bhai regarding your experience in this hobby .. i would say thanks a lot for sharing the most important secrets of becoming a successful fancier with all of us ..
    *Haters gonna Hate*
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind !!!

Verified Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zaheer bahi,
    very nice informative,article,

Premium Member
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

AOA,

Zaheer bhai itney arsey kahan thei.

Regards
    Muhammad Faisal
    Rawalpindi - Pakistan
    -------------------------
    My Collection: CAG, G M Rosella, Alexandrine, Lutino and Albino ring necks, Senegal, Cockatiel, Plum and Blossom heads, Green cheek yellow sided conures, Green cheek cinnamon conure, sun conures, personata lovebirds Lutino/Albino, Blue Mask LB, Exhibition budgie, king budgies, Common/pied/spangle normal budgies, Fallow German budgies, Java, BC, Light back, WBC, Strawberry finch, Zebra exhibition all orange mutations.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome post zaheer bhai.

Also, i want to point out on breeding ethics too. Which include proper space, care n rest to your breeder birds.
    Haroon ur Rasheed

We may not realize that a better solution or trade-off is possible until we see it.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

proper care n rest is most important rather than thinking that birds are money making machines....
    Never get jealous when you see your EX with someone else, because our parents taught us to give our used toys to less fortunate

Members who have read this thread: 12