User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building an Aviary - Desi Thoughts!

Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

22 members found this post helpful.

Red face Building an Aviary - Desi Thoughts!

Hello Friends,

Most of the time I have heard the discussion of what birds to buy, what are good pairs, what should be the prices and the buying starts. Finally the stock has been purchased, now people start to think about cages. Where to house them and how to keep them and make-shift cages would be brought in.

As a general rule, your cages should be built before you start to buy birds. Now, generally I have noticed that good breeders are the ones with a better set-up, nice cages and all. The word better set-up does not necessarily mean you need to spend more money (it is a major factor no doubt about it). You can plan and spend smartly according to your budget. I am listing a few things which I have observed and can help many people. I had no one to guide me on how to get cages and so once I have learned, I want to put in an effort so anyone who is going for an aviary can do the basics themselves.

Generally, in western countries we can come across suspended aviary's but here in Pakistan the only type is the block shaped or standing aviary. So, I will only focus on the standing aviary.

First thoughts:

Before you start planning, you need to realize the climate. If it gets too hot or too cold, you should consider an indoor aviary, otherwise go for an out door one. Once this thought is out of the way, you need to look into a few factors.

Here are my thoughts about them:

Size of your aviary:

Before ordering cages, you must calculate the space available to you and how many cages you can fit into them (I am hoping that you have already done your basic research and know which breeds would you be keeping and would keep the size of your cages accordingly). After checking the size, decide how many cages you want.

Height of your aviary:

If you are utilizing space on your roof top, you might want to have a little more height. This will give you two benefits, you can order 3 story cages and fit more birds in the same space. Secondly, the height will help with heat factor as well.

Location of your aviary:

Placing your aviary is not just marking a place on your roof top or lawn and starting to build. If I had a choice, I would want my aviary to face east so the birds can enjoy morning sun in cold winters and may avoid the harsh 2 o clock sun in summers. Knowing your climate will help you here. You would want to avoid winds, knowing your area and knowing which way the wind blows can also be a factor. You would be able to build slants and slopes which may act as wind cutters and avoid any damage to your birds or the whole aviary as well.

Cleaning and Maintenance of your aviary:

The last thing but the most important. Your birds will for sure poop a lot and create a lot of mess while eating. You need to keep that in mind and make your aviary, cage positioning and setting in such a way that it is easy to clean and easy to keep. Leaving very little or no space behind the cages or over stuffing of your aviary will start giving you problems later on.

Well, these are some of the points that I would keep in mind if I make a new aviary. Another thing which I have not written here yet is: Always keep the number of parrots to what you can care about. Try to realize that you are not in a competition where the person keeping maximum number of birds will win.

There are people who would want to be known as keeping a 100 plus birds. I would want to be remembered as a fancier with the best quality birds, great feathers and good health.

I hope this would help the new guys in this world!

Enjoy!
    'Mai ni main kinun aakhan, Dard vichoray da haal ni'
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Verified Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Building an Aviary - Desi Thoughts!

Awesome!
    These tips came at a great time as I am just planning to set up an aviary.

Thanks thanks!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice sharing, very few people take out time to help juniors, Bravo
    One must ask children and birds how cherries and strawberries taste.

Mentioned
    806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)

تسی چھا گئے او بھائی عدیل راجہ صاحب
    Collection: Exhibition & Crested Exhibition Budgerigars, Indian Ringnecks, Alexandrians,Love Birds

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

A wonderful piece of writting, I would like to add my 2 cents worth of thinking about indoor aviaries for the birds that are nervous or shy breeders. If there are any windows (there should be) and if the layout allows, fixing one sided mirror in the panes would give you the advantage to monitor birds' activities without disturbing them.

Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

4 members found this post helpful.

About time Adeel Raja is using his experience towards positive things :P
    *Haters gonna Hate*
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind !!!

Verified Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

round of applause

Mentioned
    870 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

2 members found this post helpful.

very nice ...positive work positive ranking
    Muhammad Jamil Naz
    Ph # 03004011785

---------------------------
    More then 1000 pet products under one roof - with Home Delivery
    visit www.birdsplanet.pk

Verified Members
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 members found this post helpful.

A very nice effort. Just want to add about the sunlight. As mentioned by Adeel that his prference for the aviary will be to face east to maximum sunlight. We have general understanding that sun rises from the same place all year. Whereas the direction on the sun changes during summer and winter. I did some googling on this while constructing my aviary and found that there is a maximum deviation of 45 degrees between summenr and winter sun rising points. So I will suggest while constructing an aviary and positioning the cages, try to make an arrangement that you get the maximum sunlight during the coldest part of winter.
    Disclaimer: The above is based on personal preference and liking. I am not a professional breeder and not even an expert on any thing about birds. However, I firmly believe in giving sunlight (morning first two hours at least) and I find it diffcult fighting against cold than hot weather. I have no experience of CAGs but I have heard that they breed well in dark envoirnments. So getting maximum sunlight for CAGs may be an obstructiuon to breeding.

Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

nice and useful info for all
    We choose the wrong people fst time .. And when right people arrives .we stop trusting people

Members who have read this thread: 3