Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: I don't have a 'BIG' setup

Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

20 members found this post helpful.

I don't have a 'BIG' setup

I have no idea what has prompted me to narrate this, I don’t know if someone will find it interesting or I am about to bore the crap out of you guys. The sole reason for this post is to encourage people who want to learn and who want to appear to the world as who they actually are.

I went to College Road (Rawalpindi’s Bird market) a few days back and was trying to find out a few lovebirds for myself where I saw a guy who was practically staring at a cage full of budgies. My first reaction to the guy was that he probably is trying to locate a hen, which is about to lay an egg so he can purchase that hen and get it to breed ASAP.

I decided to join the fun and stood by him, his eyes were following a bird with light markings on it. He asked the shopkeeper to give him that bird for 300. The shopkeeper agreed and when finally he caught the bird, he refused to sell it to the guy for 300 because it was not a ‘budgie’ it was not a ‘pied’ but was a ‘paradise’.

I started to laugh because I knew the bird is now worth 1000 to 1500 rupees alone. It was a fallow budgie – The guy was smart and knew what he was doing when he was staring at them birds. He looked at me and smiled telling me the shopkeeper is smart and he wont be able to get that bird for 300 anymore.

We started bird talk and the guy had major information about budgies. He knew every trick in the book to care for budgies. He was gifted one pair from a friend who wanted to finish his budgies and now had 3 cages with three budgie colonies and claimed that he did not invest a single rupee and it was all due to that first pair some 6 years back.

He then asked me what have I kept. I told him the birds I had and he went quiet. I asked him and he just said, he has a very small setup that cannot be shown to people even.

The word ‘small setup’ hit me big time. I got my first pair of budgies when I was 5. My father had died a few weeks back and my mother sent us to the market to buy something just to cheer us brothers up. I chose for myself a cage and a pair of budgies. That was the first time I got myself parrots. From that time onwards, I always had parrots as pets with me.

It was when I had completed my HSSC that I met a guy living in Kalar-Sayidaan. He had pigeons and parrots at that time and I had a few pairs of cockatiels while some 30 to 50 pairs of budgies in 3 different colonies/cages. The guy invited me to his place to show his ‘shouq’.

He had some two to three “thousand” pigeons. Yes, I am not joking! He had tons of parrots… love birds, budgies, cockatiels, IRN’s, a pair of lorries and so many others that I do not recall and oh not to forget a huge colony of doves as well.

A few days later, the same guy visited my place; I showed him my 7 cages that I had purchased from College Road. He started laughing at me and told me, your setup is very small and you should not show it to people because no one wants to look at budgies or cockatiels. You need to have a big setup and all.

I felt insulted. I was extremely irritated and pissed off. I used all the money I had that had been given to me by my mother and family for passing HSSC with a gold medal and used it to get myself 40 double portion cages. It was all set.

I had a ‘BIG’ setup man! I purchased parrots left right and center. Anything on college road and I would pick it up. The passion lasted for 2 years and as I started getting busy with my engineering, the time I spent with my parrots started to go less and less. Its not that I did not want them anymore, I had no capacity to deal with around 70 pairs of parrots, finches, lovebirds and what not.

I had even got my self some 200 pigeons and 3 pairs of peacocks all on the same roof top. Now, I had a big setup and no time for the parrots. The result?

Feeding and cleaning the cages was handed over to the maid. I would just go up in the morning to have a look and within two months I lost some 30 parrots. They died so quickly I still cannot believe it.

Then, I had to go to London for my masters, I had around 30 pairs at that time and the rest of the cages were empty. I sold them off and went away covering the cages with sheets.

When I came back, the cages were broken, rusted and of no use anymore. Only one pair of peacocks was still there. I had lost interest and sold off the cages to a ‘kabari’ and the peacocks to a friend.

I had decided to quit.

Now, why have I shared this with you guys? The problem that I see here is most of the people are only concerned about how big your setup is and how expensive your birds are. I went in with the flow and lost my birds along with my money, not to forget, the desire to have parrots.

It wasn’t until 11 months after returning to Pakistan that I had to accompany a friend to College Road that I just purchased 6 pairs of lovebirds and a cage on impulse and brought them home. Those 6 became 10, 12, 14 and later added cockatiels to the collection.

I had added fancy pigeons, some 100 pairs. 2 pairs of lady pheasants’ and a trio of red’s as well. The same thing happened again and I lost a few birds. It was then I realized that I could never have a big setup.

I simply do not have the capacity. I cannot care for so many birds. The whole idea was stupid for me. This was not meant for me.

All of them but the lovebirds were sold. I cannot have a big setup and show off to people about how many birds I have. It was confirmed. The fire, however still burns!

It was @c0keguy who pushed me into getting cages again and persuaded me into buying conures and irns. This time I was careful. I just got myself 12 portions and kept 12 pairs.

This time I realized that having a ‘big’ setup is not what will gain you respect, nor is it to show off. Keeping pets if for your own self and should be kept to the extent that you are comfortable with them and enjoy them, not get burdened by servicing them. I haven’t lost a single bird ever since, except one rosella male who got sick and died while I was in Lahore.

Due to the nature of my work, I only have 10 minutes daily for my birds and I cant keep 20 30 pairs if I will be giving them that much time.

I do not have a big setup. I have trimmed those 12 portions even and will now be keeping 8 pairs only because that is what I can easily cater for.

Oh and yes, I do not feel insulted because I do not have some 100 birds. I am happy with my few pairs because I don’t feel burdened, I can give them time, and I can care for them.

This is how it should have been for me from the very beginning. I lost track and tried to do something that was not meant for me.

Your setup can be as big as you can afford it to be but there are two ways to do it. Either extend it to the limit of the money you can afford it, or to the limit of the care and time.

I chose the second option. I cannot care for 40 pairs, I am happy with a few only.

Are you?
    'Mai ni main kinun aakhan, Dard vichoray da haal ni'
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Verified Members
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: I don't have a 'BIG' setup

Just to second to what adeel narrated. One should show responsibility and true love for the hobby by only keeping few and caring good for them.

Wasey just to let you know adeel have only few but awsome pieces and expensive then many huge setups lolz

In my opinion just few pairs but the ones you really like and then good care is what you need in this hobby.

Premium Member Muhammad Wasim Shahzad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

1 members found this post helpful.

@Chulbul Pandey .... you are absolutely right ...... its batter to have few birds rather then to have large setup to show off and let the birds died due to lack of care ....

Administrator
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

agree with you bro @Chulbul Pandey

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

1 members found this post helpful.

@Chulbul Pandey :::I have read it carefully as you have mention the true feeling of most of the member of this form. One should not feel shame if he dont have big setup but have some good healthy birds which makes you happy when you came back from work. This what I always emphasis there should be clear understanding / line between hobby and business lots of people here always talk about big setup.

Good thread and fully agree with your views.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Chulbul Pandey, ur story give me lesson as I am also feel quite shame when I say some one that I have very small setup which I cannot say a "Setup".

Thank you brother.
    Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble.

Mentioned
    602 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Thoroughly absorbing post
    well said adeel bhai
    You were born with wings
    Why prefer to crawl through life?

-Rumi

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

2 members found this post helpful.

I wish people not only read this but also apply it on themselves that clarity and realization of objectives is so very essential in this hobby as well, or if you want to take it as a business, do it as a business. Like I said in the Karachi GTG, "what is a hobby for, if you're not enjoying it?"

Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my brothers, me too 101% agree with you all that and if some one have just some pairs of budgies and he is caring them well this deal meant alot, rather than having cage of yards filled with CAG's .....

i was also planning to write about this topic but due to timing issues still ..... was planning and after reading this all i think Adeel bhai has written it more beautifully (though i have the same story i.e. winded up my hobby 3rd time

Verified Members
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am always told the same by my elder brother he says start with small and gradually go towards the big guns, and my mind is now developed accordingly

Members who have read this thread: 3